In addition to student research carried out within the academic curriculum, faculty members of the department undertake sponsored research and investigations for different government organizations and non-governmental agencies. The university also funds a number of research projects proposed by the faculty members.
Recent Research Works
The department of Water Resources Engineering undertakes various research programs considering national interests and local needs. Research priority is always given towards the sustainable management and development of the complex water resources system. Some of the research works recently incorporated by the faculty members of the department are listed here –
• Application of 2D Mathematical Model for Verification on Water Velocity at Coastal Area of Bangladesh.
• Performance Evaluation of Selected Surface Water irrigation Schemes of BADC.
• A Study of Hydraulic Jump in a Sloping Channel with Abrupt Drop.
• An Experimental Study of Roughness on Selected Flow Parameters in a Compound Meandering Channel.
• Field Assessment of Scour at the Outlet of Selected Road Culverts.
• Modelling the Impact of Climate Change and Sea Level Rise on the Morphology of Lower Meghna River.
• Numerical Simulation of Tidal Level at Selected Coastal Area of Bangladesh.
• An Experimental Study on Settling Behavior of Toe Protection Elements of River Bank Protection Works.
• Development of Operation Rule of Proposed Ganges Barrage using Mathematical Model.
Departmental Research Works
A significant part of research works of the department is directed towards the study and solution of field problems. Some research works conducted by the department are given below –
River Response, Training Works and Erosion Protection
Local scour around bridge piers and abutments; Prevention of bank erosion using revetments, groynes, bottom vanes etc; Behavior of river bifurcation; Roughness of various bed materials; Sedimentation rate of alluvial rivers.
Hydraulics and Hydraulic Structures